Over the past few weeks, we’ve talked about the importance of building a stylish wardrobe from a foundation of classic pieces. But, we also know that the secret weapon of every stylish woman is the unexpected item(s) that turns a great look into an amazing one. As shown on the left, Heidi Klum knows how to style a classic jeans/blazer/cashmere sweater look with great heels, jewelry, and the pushed up sleeves.
At Isle of Skye Cashmere, we have lots of ideas on how to get that amazing look. Our favorite way to do this is with a great looking cashmere sweater in an eye-popping color. But we also love to add gorgeous shoes, a knockout handbag, a piece of signature jewelry, or a cashmere scarf in a “wow” color or pattern. Here is some advice we give our customers as we work with them to add drama to classically styled outfits:
- Color – Try accenting your black or white basics with dramatic colors such as a Caribbean Blue or a Ferrari Red, or your personal favorite “statement” color. You can add these accents with a cashmere sweater, a tailored cotton shirt, or a silk skirt. Chose colors that work best for you…not what the fashion magazines say is “in” this year.
- Great shoes – Ballet flats and pumps are the classics, and black is the most versatile. But Repetto Ballet Flats and Christian Leboutin pumps come in great colors that add “wow” to any outfit.
- Prints can be risky, because a print that is too bold or busy can be unflattering to many body shapes. A great place to start is low contrast prints, such as soft toned plaids and floral pastels. Worn with a complementary solid piece or accessory, they can look great on most women. One way to be more dramatic with a bolder print is with a scarf. Try accenting your classic pieces with a beautiful Cashmere print, or a Hermes silk scarf.
- A great handbag means great proportion, perfect size, and mouthwatering colors. The Hermes Kelly and Birkin bags are classics, but not practical for many women. But these classics have inspired other similar designs in handcrafted Italian leather. Consider choosing a classic style in a color that makes a statement.
- Belts – with jeans, over a sweater, nipping the waist of a tailored dress. A simple, elegant and beautifully made belt can be the perfect accent piece to any outfit.
- Jewelry – The French believe that a woman’s life story lies in her jewelry box. Your classic style can take the exuberance of your most dramatic statement jewelry. But it will also look amazing with the simplest stud earrings or pearl necklace. Accessorize with jewelry that tells your story.
- Fashion Fun – Add an interesting piece representing the latest fashion trend. Fashion items come and go, so it’s fun to buy an inexpensive, but trendy item to add some drama to your classic pieces.
A key to getting that amazing look is knowing when to stop with the accent items – sometimes you have to experiment to get it just right. Stylish dressing is all about understated elegance – if there are too many pieces competing to make a statement, then its usually just one loud mess.
Fashion Apprentice – Isle of Skye Cashmere